Voluntary Subtractions from Refund


Utah Code §59-10-1313

Also see Utah my529 tax credit

If you own a my529 account, you may contribute all or part of your refund to your my529 account(s) by entering the amount you want deposited. The deposit will be sent to my529 with your name, address and Social Security number as identification.

my529 will deposit your refund into your my529 account(s). If you have multiple my529 individual accounts under your Social Security number, your refund will be divided equally among all your individual accounts. Both Social Security numbers from a joint return will be matched to existing my529 individual accounts for dividing the refund.

If you enter an amount on this line but do not own a my529 individual account, my529 will send you information to open an account. You may also visit my529.org or call 1-800-418-2551 to open an account. If you do not open an account within the designated time frame, my529 will return your refund to you without interest or earnings.

Note: Your refund will not be contributed to your my529 individual account until your return has finished processing, which may take up to 90 days. Any outstanding federal or state debt you owe may be subtracted from your refund before it is contributed to your my529 individual account(s). The refund will be treated as a current-year contribution in the year contributed.

For more information about my529 accounts:

Refund Applied to 2024 Taxes

You may apply all or part of your refund as a prepayment for your 2024 Utah income tax liability. Enter the amount of refund you want applied to your 2024 tax on this line.

If you change your mind, you must mail a written request to:

Taxpayer Resources
Utah State Tax Commission
210 N 1950 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84134-7000

Voluntary Subtractions from Refund

If you want to deposit all or part of your refund into a my529 account(s) (see page 14), or if you want to apply all or part of your refund as a prepayment of your 2024 Utah income tax liability, complete TC-40 page 3, Part 6. Enter the total from Part 6 on line 43.

The amount on line 43 cannot be greater than the amount on line 42.

Total Subtractions from Refund

Add the two amounts and enter the total here and on TC-40, page 2, line 43.

Note: This amount may not be greater than the amount on line 42.

We will refund any amount left over, unless you have other outstanding government obligations.