- Credit for Increasing Research Activities in Utah (code 12)
- Carryover of Credit for Machinery and Equipment Used to Conduct Research (code 13)
This credit is:
- 5 percent of your qualified expenses for increasing research activities in Utah above a base amount;
- 5 percent of certain payments made to a qualified organization increasing basic research in Utah above a base amount; and
- 7.5 percent of your qualified research expenses in Utah for the current taxable year.
Note: Any credit for 1 or 2 above that is more than the tax liability may be carried forward for the next 14 taxable years.
Any credit for 3 above may not be carried forward.
There is no form for this credit. Keep all related documents with your records.
The credit expired for taxable years beginning after 2010.
If you claimed a credit on your return for machinery and/or equipment used to conduct research for a year after 1998 and prior to 2011, and the credit was more than the tax liability for the year, you may carry over the excess credit to the next 14 years and use it to offset tax until used up. If you are using any remaining credit in this year, enter that carryover amount on TC-40A, Part 4, using code 13.