Name, Address, Social Security Number, and Residency

Name and Social Security Number

You must disclose your legal name and Social Security number (SSN) on your Utah income tax return. Your name(s) and the Social Security number(s) entered on your Utah return must match your Social Security card(s).

If you do not have a legal Social Security number, you must use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) issued by the Internal Revenue Service in place of the Social Security number.

Married non-resident aliens not required to have an SSN or ITIN number for their spouse should file their Utah return with a “Single” filing status.

Do not use “Applied For” or other placeholders as your SSN or ITIN on the Utah return.  If you have not yet received your SSN or ITIN pay any taxes due by the due date of the return and file the return once you have been issued the identity number.

Enter your Social Security number and name in the spaces provided. If you are filing a married-filing-jointly or a married-filing-separately return, enter your spouse’s name and Social Security number also. Enter Social Security numbers in the same order your names appear on the form and on the federal return.


Enter your United States Postal Service approved address in the space provided. Use your “ZIP plus four” nine digit zip code without a hyphen. This is a postal service requirement.

If your address is in a foreign country, enter the mailing address where indicated. Enter the foreign city, state/province and postal code in the City field. Abbreviate if necessary. Leave the State and Zip Code fields blank. Enter only the foreign country name in the “Foreign Country” field.

Phone Number

Enter your ten-digit phone number without parentheses or hyphens.


All information on the income tax return is confidential and protected from unauthorized disclosure by federal and state laws. You must provide your name, Social Security number, and address on the return, but Utah will use a state assigned account number in any correspondence to avoid disclosure of your Social Security number.

Deceased Taxpayer Return

If you are filing for a taxpayer who has died, enter the deceased person’s name and Social Security number and your mailing address and telephone number. Complete TC-40, page 3, Part 1 if the taxpayer or spouse died in 2018 or 2019. For instructions about filing and signing a return for a deceased person, see Deceased Taxpayers, Estates, Trusts, and Fiduciaries.


Report whether you are a full-year Utah resident by marking Y (yes) for resident or N (no) for non-resident or part-year resident on the line to the right of your last name. If you or your spouse answer “N,” complete and attach Schedule B, Non or Part-year Resident Schedule. For more information, see Residency and Domicile.