Search Results for: who must file

No Results Or Need Something Else?

Search Again

Who Must File a Utah Income Tax Return

You must file a Utah individual income tax return if you are a Utah resident or part-year resident who must file a federal income tax return; you are a nonresident with income from Utah sources who must file a federal return; and you want a refund of overpaid income tax.

Income Tax Instructions

Filing your income tax return doesn’t need to be complex or difficult. We’ve put together information to help you understand your state tax requirements.

Completing Your Return

Utah income taxes follow federal requirements for filing returns for deceased individuals. First determine which type of Federal return you are required to file, and then determine the corresponding Utah return.

Utah Domicile

For Utah tax purposes, a person is considered domiciled in Utah under certain conditions.

Identity Verification

We want to prevent someone else from stealing your identity and tax refund by filing a false tax return in your name. This is one more measure we use to keep your information safe. Our system flags returns with factors indicating the possibility of identity fraud. When this happens, we require the taxpayer to prove their identity before processing the refund.

Income Tax Paid to Another State (code 17)

If you are a Utah resident or part-year resident with income that is taxed by Utah and another state(s), the District of Columbia, or a possession of the United States, you may be entitled to a non-refundable tax credit for income tax paid to the other state(s).

Special Needs Adoptions (code 41)

A taxpayer who adopts one or more children with special needs during the taxable year may claim a refundable credit of $1,000. You may only claim this credit if you were a Utah resident on the date the adoption order is issued. The adoption order must be issued by a court of competent jurisdiction in Utah or another state, or in a foreign country. If the adoption is made by a foreign country, the adoption must be registered in accordance with UC §78B-6-142.