Requesting Copies of Prior Year Returns

You may request a copy of a prior year Utah tax return, in person or by mail. The fee is $6.50 for each return requested. Additional charges may apply if research is required.

To request a copy of a past return, fill out TC-880, Request for Tax Records. List the tax year(s) requested and your social security number. Both social security numbers are required if you are requesting a copy of a joint return. Also include a daytime phone number and sign the form.

If you are requesting a copy of someone else’s return, you must have a power of attorney or notarized letter of consent (signed by that taxpayer). You can use Utah Form TC-737, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, for this purpose. Signatures will be verified.

All in-person requests will be filled within 24 hours. Mailed requests take one to two weeks.

Make all requests at:

Taxpayer Services
Utah State Tax Commission
210 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84134

If mailing your request, enclose a check or money order for the full amount ($6.50 for each return requested).

Tax information is private. The Tax Commission will prosecute people that illegally request information other than for themselves.