Where's My Refund?

Check your refund status online.

Electronic filing: You should have your refund within sixty days.

Paper return: It can take up to ninety days to process your return and refund.

All refund checks and direct deposits are issued by the State Department of Finance. To check your refund status, login to Taxpayer Access Point, or call 801-297-2200 or 1-800-662-4335 (outside the Salt Lake area) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. To use Taxpayer Access Point, you'll need to provide your taxpayer ID number, the amount of the refund, and the federal adjusted gross income (FAGI) from your return.

Certain situations may slow down the issuing of your refund. Common problems and solutions are:

  • New address – If your check was mailed to an old address, the post office will return it to the State Department of Finance. Contact the State Tax Commission (801-297-2200 or 1-800-662-4335) to get the refund check number.
  • You owe state taxes for other years – If you owe on any other tax period or tax type, your refund will be applied to those balances. We will refund any remaining amount to you.
  • You owe other federal or state debts – We may apply your refund to any outstanding federal or state debt. If you did not receive your refund, contact the State Tax Commission (801-297-2200 or 1-800-662-4335) to get the refund check number. The Tax Commission does not have record of refunds applied to other debts.
  • Direct deposit – If you chose to direct deposit of your refund, it will be deposited directly into the account you specified on your return. However, you will not get a notice from the state when your refund is deposited. Contact your financial institution to find out if your refund has been deposited.
  • Direct deposit errors – If you entered an incorrect routing number and/or account number for your financial institution on your return, your refund will be delayed. If your financial institution rejects the direct deposit, we will send you a check by mail.
  • Error on your return – Sometimes an error on a return results in a smaller refund or a tax-due balance. If we have to fix your return because of an error or other reason, we will send you a written notice. The notice will tell you how to contact the Tax Commission for more information.
  • Your refund was applied to the next year's taxes – You may apply all or part of your refund to next year's taxes. Your refund will be reduced by the amount you want applied. You will not receive a check if the entire refund is applied to the next year.
  • You checked UESP on your return – If you chose to have your entire refund deposited into your Utah Educational Savings Plan (UESP) account, you will not receive a refund. For more information, or if you marked this box in error, contact UESP at 801-321-7188 or 1-800-418-2551 or uesp.org.