Filing Paper Returns
Although filing electronically is faster, has fewer errors, and you get your return much more quickly, some people still prefer to file on paper. The following information will assist you in obtaining, completing, and submitting paper forms.
Getting Paper Forms
Utah no longer prints tax booklets, so you can not get Utah forms at libraries or post offices. Get forms online at tax.utah.gov/forms/. You can complete the forms and save them on your computer. Help with Forms and Publications explains the software requirements for this.
If you are can’t download or print a form, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 801-297-6700 (Salt Lake area) or 1-800-662-4335 ext. 6700 (outside the Salt Lake area).
When requesting forms by email, include all of the following information:
- Your name
- Your complete address
- The form names and numbers you need. If you would like all of the income tax forms and the instructions, request an “Individual Income Tax Packet.”
Completing Paper Forms
Paper returns are read by a scanner, so please follow these guidelines to ensure accurate processing:
- If possible, use a computer to find and complete Utah returns online. This will produce a very legible return.
- If you can’t use a computer to print your finished return, then use clear, legible handwriting. Use only black or dark blue ink – no pencils or felt tip pens.
- Enter only whole dollar amounts on all forms – no cents.
- If a line or box does not apply to you, leave it blank. Do not enter zeros.
- Do not use dollar signs, commas or parentheses.
- If entering a loss, use a minus sign in front of the number.
- Make a copy of the finished return for your records.
- Sign and mail the original return with any schedules you used (don’t mail schedules that don’t apply to your return).
- Do not mail a copy of your federal with your Utah return, unless you are amending.
Where to Send Your Return
See Income Tax Return Mailing Addresses for the correct address to mail your return. If you’re sending a paper return, there are many documents you might need to include. See Requirements When Filing a Paper Return for complete information.