Free Tax Return Assistance

The following IRS programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. See the IRS website for more information, including qualifications, what to bring, and site locations.

VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

The VITA Program offers free help by IRS-certified volunteers to people who make $51,000 or less and need help preparing their own tax returns. VITA sites are located convenient locations throughout your community. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.

Go here to find a VITA site near you, or call 211 or 1-800-906-9887. If you call 211, you can make an appointment or find out about the walk-in hours for all the sites statewide.


FSA – Facilitated Self Assistance

The FSA Program, or Self Help Tax Preparation, is free for people who make $58,000 or less and want to prepare their own tax return with limited help. To get started, you need basic computer skills, internet access, an email address, a valid Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), and tax documentation. Use My Free Taxes to file your Federal and State tax return for free.

For more information, visit


TCE – Tax Counseling for the Elderly

The TCE Program offers free tax help for all, with priority assistance to persons 60 years of age and older. TCE specializes in questions about pensions and retirement issues unique to seniors. IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations.

Find an AARP Tax-Aide site near you or call 211 or 1-888-227-7669 for more information on TCE.

Scroll Up